Ujwal Gadiraju is an Assistant Professor at the Web Information Systems group of the Faculty of Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS/EWI), Delft University of Technology.
Prior to joining the WIS group, Ujwal worked at the L3S Research Center as a Postdoctoral researcher between 2017-2020. Ujwal received a PhD degree (Dr. rer. nat.) in Computer Science from the Leibniz University of Hannover, Germany in 2017, and an MSc. Computer Science degree from TU Delft, the Netherlands in 2012. His research interests lie at the intersection of Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) and Information Retrieval (IR), with a special focus on Crowd Computing. Ujwal’s prior work in Crowd Computing has explored methods to improve the effectiveness of the crowdsourcing paradigm, running large-scale human-centered experiments to understand the interaction between humans and machines, and understanding the societal impact of algorithmic decision-making.
Ujwal’s work focuses on systematically leveraging the ‘hybrid intelligence’ obtained by combining humans and machines to solve a range of problems in HCI and IR. His current research agenda pertaining to Crowd Computing and Human-centered AI includes the following topics:
- Conversational Interfaces for Crowd Computing
- Impact of Algorithmic Decision-Making on Humans
- Understanding the Dissonance Between Humans and Machines
- Characterizing, Measuring and Predicting User Knowledge Gain through Web Search
- [31.07.2020] Two full papers accepted at AAAI HCOMP 2020.
(1). “Trainbot: A Conversational Interface Based on Motivational Interviewing to Train Crowd Workers for Therapeutic Tasks” with Tahir Abbas, Vassilis-Javed Khan, Panos Markopoulos.
(2). “Impact of Algorithmic Decision Making on Human Behavior: Evidence from Ultimatum Bargaining” with Alexander Erlei, Franck Awounang Nekdem, Lukas Meub, Avishek Anand.
- [25.07.2020] Paper titled “CrowdCO-OP: Sharing Risks and Rewards in Crowdsourcing” with Shaoyang Fan, Alessandro Checco, Gianluca Demartini has been accepted to ACM CSCW 2020.
- [30.06.2020] Paper titled “Towards Memorable Information Retrieval” with Sihang Qiu and Alessandro Bozzon was accepted to ACM ICTIR 2020!
- [08.06.2020] Our HRI’20 late breaking report received an 🏆 Honorable Mention Award 🏆!
- [29.05.2020] Paper titled “How Does Team Composition Affect Knowledge Gain of Users in Collaborative Web Search?” with Luyan Xu and Xuan Zhou was accepted to ACM HT2020!
- [20.04.2020] Course on Crowd Computing (CS4145) with Alessandro and Nava begins!
- [09.04.2020] Paper titled “Estimating Conversational Styles in Conversational Microtask Crowdsourcing” with Sihang Qiu and Alessandro Bozzon has been accepted to ACM CSCW 2020.
- [01.04.2020] Ujwal joined the WIS group at TU Delft as an Assitant Professor.
- [01.01.2020] Ujwal is serving as the Program Chair for the ACM Conference on Hypertext and Social Media (HT 2020), the Publicity Co-chair for the ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM 2020) and the Sponsorship Co-chair for the AAAI Conference on Human Computation and Crowdsourcing (HCOMP 2020).